Thursday, March 6, 2008

What's Playing | Hot Chip - Made In The Dark

by Jack Probst


I first heard Hot Chip on a suggestion from Darren. Coming on Strong is a great first effort, but the band took a big step forward on their sophomore album, The Warning. The thing that really sold me on Hot Chip was seeing them live at Lollapalooza 2006. They were probably the loudest band I heard that weekend, and the only one I was front row for. They’re just a bunch of nerdy looking Londoners, but they bring a together a mix of classic soul grooves, catchy techno-pop, and some hip hop sensibilities. After seeing that Hot Chip can rock the effing house made The Warning even better. On their new album Made in the Dark, the band is just improving on the sound they perfected on the last album.

Made in the Dark has enough bounce to get you out on the dance floor. It starts off strong and stays that way, but occasionally blends mellow songs in to give you a chance to breath. The band released “Shake a Fist” a few months early, and I found myself playing it on repeat for my whole 25 minute drive to and from Euclid. It’s a heavily funky track meant to be played at maximum volume. “Ready for the Floor” On “Wrestling” the band compares love to a wrestling match, checking off moves in the witty lyrics: “half nelson, full nelson, Willie Nelson... Willie Nelson.” Right now I constantly have “One Pure Thought” stuck in my head. “Hold On” defines the Hot Chip sound with lead vocalist Alexis Taylor singing “I’m only going to heaven if it feels like hell / I’m only going to heaven if it takes like caramel”. I’ve already decided this record will make my top 10 of 2008.

Check out the amazing video for “Ready for the Floor”:

And be sure to sample a few tracks on Hot Chip’s MySpace page.

1 comment:

Jon said...

Good review, but no mention of the greatness of the song "Bendable Poseable." That song makes me want to dance like an action figure...

-Jon Scorfina