Friday, March 28, 2008

I Saw Mike Doughty At The Gargoyle Last Night

by Jack Probst

So I walk into The Gargoyle last night and there’s a bunch of guys on stage jamming on some weird sounds. Something didn’t seem right. They were all wearing hats and fake beards. My sister pointed out that Doughty was wearing the blonde one. I should have spotted him sooner since some of his tattoos were exposed. Honestly, I still don’t know what they were doing, but it was fun any how. Next up were the actual opening band, The Panderers, whom are the first band to sign to Doughty’s new microlabel Snack Bar. They were a bit twangy and southern. I think I liked them, but it’s a bit hard for me to decide since the student sound guy couldn’t fix a few of the technical difficulties.

Mike Doughty’s Band started the set off a little medley of two Soul Coughing songs, and later did the hit “Circles.” They didn’t play anything from the new album until half way between the set. “Put It Down” was a fun sing-along, and “Navigating by the Stars at Night” was rockin’ like nobody’s business. Doughty grabbed a sampler and tooled around with vocal clips, leading to the new song “More Bacon than the Pan Can Handle.” The highlight of the show was a wonderful version of “I Hear the Bells,” in which bass player Scrap took up the guitar and drummer Pete took a break. Keyboardist John Kirby, who resembles a long haired Justin Timberlake from the side, had a lot of time to shine as he twiddled away on the keys all night. Absent from the set was new fan favorite “Wednesday,” but they did surprise me by playing Kenny Rogers’s “The Gambler,” which he released a version of on an iTunes EP in 2005. The band saved the singles for the end of the night, “27 Jennifers” feels right with a full band, and hearing “Looking at the World from the Bottom of a Well” made me realize that I like that song more live.

I snapped a picture and captured the “I Hear the Bells” performance:

No comments: